In the summer and fall of 2019, Ross Valley Sanitary District (RVSD) will clean up its 10.3-acre former wastewater treatment plant site at 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle to the cleanest levels that enable unrestricted use of the property.
The property contains trace concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) which was present in some of the paint that was applied to the concrete administration buildings. The concrete of the former plant was crushed and used as backfill back in 1999.
In March 2019, US EPA approved the remedial action plan to safely remove and dispose of this material, and in May 2019, RVSD selected a contractor to conduct the cleanup work.
To clean up the site, approximately 64,000 tons of soil and demolition debris will be removed from Larkspur Landing and sent to a municipal landfill and about 2,600 tons will be sent to a hazardous waste landfill. The site will be restored to existing grade with clean fill imported from a quarry at a total budget of about $9.6 million. There is no future development proposed for the site at this time.
RVSD will work closely with the City of Larkspur and the local community in a public engagement process regarding the disposition of the property after cleanup is complete.
Click here to see the Larkspur Landing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Click here to see the Larkspur Landing Project Information Sheet.
Site Cleanup Schedule
- The Contractor (ERRG) has mobilized workers and began grading the site the week of July 15.
- Work is anticipated to be complete in December, 2019.
- Regular work hours will be Monday – Friday, from 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., and Saturdays, from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.*
- Approximately 40 truckloads per day will be used to haul soil to and from the site.
- Work will be conducted under strict EPA requirements for dust control and public health protection.
- When complete, the project will eliminate residual risk to human health and the environment, with cleanup to meet unrestricted land use standards per strict federal testing and oversight.
*As approved by the City of Larkspur.
Larkspur Landing Documents
Click on the individual links below.
- Excavation and Remediation Project - Contractor Bid Summary (May 8, 2019)
- Excavation and Remediation Project - Addendum No. 4. (April 29, 2019)
- Excavation and Remediation Project - Addendum No. 3. (April 25, 2019)
- Excavation and Remediation Project - Addendum No. 2. (April 24, 2019)
- Excavation and Remediation Project - Addendum No. 1. (April 22, 2019)
- Excavation and Remediation Project Manual and Specifications (April 5, 2019) (PDF)
- Excavation and Remediation 100% Drawings (April 5, 2019) (PDF)
- U.S. EPA Conditional Approval of Remediation of 2000 Larkspur Landing (March 15, 2019) (PDF)
- Updated Application to EPA for Remediation (February 20, 2018) (PDF)
- Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (adopted June 21, 2017) (PDF)
- Draft Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (April 14, 2017) (PDF)
- Work Plan, Cost Estimate and Implementation Presentation (March 2017) (PDF)
- Site Characterization Work Plan (September 2016) (PDF)
- Overview of Remediation Work Plan (August 17, 2016) (PDF)
- US EPA Approval for Site Remediation Progress Update (March 16, 2016) (PDF)
- EPA Conditional Approval Letter (November 12, 2014) (PDF)
- Draft District Work Plan to EPA (November 9, 2014) (PDF)
- District Phase 1 Application (July 24, 2014) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment Withdrawal Letter (July 18, 2013) (PDF)
- Larkspur Response to General Plan Amendment
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Document (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Site Plan (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- Office and Corp Yard Property Mgmt Study (Forsher + Guthrie, 2011) (PDF)
- 2011 Settlement Agreement (PDF)
- 2009 Campus St. James Larkspur LLC Complaint (PDF)
- 2006 Purchase Agreement (PDF)
- 1999 Option Agreement (PDF)