Cleanup activities have been completed at the Larkspur Landing former treatment plant site, as required by the U.S. EPA. Now that the cleanup project is wrapping up, the District is embarking on the next phase of the property disposition.
This month the District selected Century Urban to provide real estate consultant services to help develop a schedule and plan to engage the public and the City of Larkspur about this unique site which is located across the street from Marin Country Mart and near the Larkspur Ferry Terminal and Larkspur SMART station. Stay tuned!
The photo on the right (taken August 25, 2020) shows topsoil being installed over the cleanup area. Remaining work is planting vegetation by hydroseeding.
Ross Valley Sanitary District (RVSD) began clean up its 10.7-acre former wastewater treatment plant site at 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle in summer 2019.
The property contained trace concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) which was present in some of the paint that was applied to the concrete administration buildings. The concrete of the former plant was crushed and used as backfill back in 1999.
All of the hazardous material has been removed from the site. Excavated areas have been back-filled, with topsoil and hydro seeding placed in November 2019. Remaining work on the project resumed June 1, 2020. The major construction activities of the project are anticipated to be complete in August.
Click here to view the Construction Notice for work resuming in early-June 2020.
Once all cleanup work at Larkspur Landing is complete, the site will be cleaned to the cleanest levels that enable unrestricted use of the property.
In March 2019, US EPA approved the remedial action plan to safely remove and dispose of this material, and in May 2019, RVSD selected a contractor to conduct the cleanup work.
The site cleanup consists of removal of about 64,000 tons of soil and demolition debris to be sent to a municipal landfill and removal of about 2,600 tons to be sent to a hazardous waste landfill. The site will be restored to existing grade with clean fill imported from a quarry at a total budget of about $9.6 million. About 65% of the work was completed in 2019, including all the material sent to the hazardous waste landfill.
Remaining work in 2020 consists of 18,000 cubic yards of excavation, removal of about 22,000 tons of soil to a municipal landfill, and import of about 19,000 tons of clean soil from the quarry. About 13,500 tons of clean excavated soil on the site will be re-used for backfilling. There is no future development proposed for the site at this time.
RVSD will work closely with the City of Larkspur and the local community in a public engagement process regarding the disposition of the property after cleanup is complete.
Click here to see the Larkspur Landing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Click here to see the Larkspur Landing Project Information Sheet.
Site Cleanup Schedule
- The Contractor (ERRG) resumed work in early-June 2020.
- Regular work hours will be Monday – Friday, from 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., and Saturdays, from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.*
- Work will be conducted under strict EPA requirements for dust control and public health protection.
- When complete, the project will eliminate residual risk to human health and the environment, with cleanup to meet unrestricted land use standards per strict federal testing and oversight.
*As approved by the City of Larkspur.
Larkspur Landing Documents
Click on the individual links below.
- U.S. EPA Conditional Approval of Remediation of 2000 Larkspur Landing (March 15, 2019) (PDF)
- Updated Application to EPA for Remediation (February 20, 2018) (PDF)
- U.S Army Corps of Engineers Wetlands Delineation (August 31, 2017) (PDF)
- Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (adopted June 21, 2017) (PDF)
- Draft Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (April 14, 2017) (PDF)
- Work Plan, Cost Estimate and Implementation Presentation (March 2017) (PDF)
- Site Characterization Work Plan (September 2016) (PDF)
- Overview of Remediation Work Plan (August 17, 2016) (PDF)
- US EPA Approval for Site Remediation Progress Update (March 16, 2016) (PDF)
- EPA Conditional Approval Letter (November 12, 2014) (PDF)
- Draft District Work Plan to EPA (November 9, 2014) (PDF)
- District Phase 1 Application (July 24, 2014) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment Withdrawal Letter (July 18, 2013) (PDF)
- Larkspur Response to General Plan Amendment
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Document (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Site Plan (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- Office and Corp Yard Property Mgmt Study (Forsher + Guthrie, 2011) (PDF)
- 2011 Settlement Agreement (PDF)
- 2009 Campus St. James Larkspur LLC Complaint (PDF)
- 2006 Purchase Agreement (PDF)
- 1999 Option Agreement (PDF)