Current Project Updates
Cleanup activities are complete at the Larkspur Landing former treatment plant site, as required by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). On December 14, 2021, EPA approved the cleanup of the Larkspur Landing property for unrestricted land use, meaning that the property is suitably clean for all potential land uses with no exceptions.
EPA approval also allows the District to continue with community outreach to help determine future uses of the property. You can view the District news release announcing EPA clearance here.
Want future Larkspur Landing Updates? Please send an email to email@example.com and request being added to our Larkspur Landing interested parties list.
The District selected Century Urban to provide real estate consulting services to help develop a schedule and plan to engage the public and the City of Larkspur about this unique site which is located across the street from Marin Country Mart and near the Larkspur Ferry Terminal and Larkspur SMART station.
A series of special board meetings have been conducted by the District as informational presentations about options for surplus property disposition at its former wastewater treatment plant site at 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle. More information about each meeting is provided below.
A special community forum meeting was held on March 30, 2022, to review the results of a community survey and update the Board on the Larkspur Housing Element. At this meeting, the Board decided to postpone action on the property pending decisions by the City of Larkspur on its General Plan and Housing Element. View the presentations on the community survey results and the Larkspur Housing Element 2023-2031 update by clicking the link.
A special board meeting was held on October 13, 2021 to provide Board of Directors and the public with a recap of these meetings. View the presentation given during the October 13 Special Board Meeting by clicking the link.
Informational Presentation III - January 27, 2021 - Surplus Land Act
- Informational Presentation on Surplus Land Act
- View the Informational Presentation III Video by clicking the link.
- Surplus Land Act Overview
Informational Presentation II - December 3, 2020 - Larkspur Landing Circle Land Use Entitlements and Larkspur General Plan 2040
- Informational Presentation on Entitlements and General Plan
- View the Informational Presentation II Video by clicking the link.
- View the Informational Presentation II Video by clicking the link.
- Memorandum: Entitlement Status for 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle
- Exhibit A – Ordinance 948, Preliminary Plan
- Exhibit B – Ordinance 951, Precise Development Plan
- Exhibit C – Subdivision Application 06-063, Tentative Parcel Map for Mixed Use Areas (non-Sanitary District areas)
- Exhibit D – Ordinance 954, Precise Development Plan and Design Review for the Hotel Component
Informational Presentation I - September 30, 2020 - Potential Transactional Structures (Sale, Lease, Joint Venture)
- Informational Presentation on Transactional Structures
- View the Informational Presentation I Video by clicking the link.
The District will provide updates on scheduled presentations, board meetings and opportunities for public engagement as they are proposed and conducted.
We encourage our ratepayers to track and participate in this discussion as the Board weighs alternatives, and we will keep you informed about additional opportunities to provide input. If you experience any difficulties accessing the meeting, please contact the Clerk of the Board.
Ross Valley Sanitary District (RVSD) began clean up of its 10.7-acre former wastewater treatment plant site at 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle in summer 2019 and completed the work on September 9, 2020. The property contained trace concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) which were present in some of the paint applied to the concrete administration buildings. The concrete of the former plant was crushed and used as a backfill back in 1999.
In March 2019, US EPA approved the remedial action plan to safely remove and dispose of this material, and in May 2019, RVSD selected a contractor to conduct the cleanup work. Site cleanup consisted of removal of about 64,000 tons of soil and demolition debris to a municipal landfill and removal of about 2,600 tons to a hazardous waste landfill. The site has been cleaned to a level that enables unrestricted use of the property. Excavated areas have been back-filled with clean soil, with topsoil and hydroseeding.
The cost of construction, engineering and permitting for this cleanup has been approximately $9.5M since 2018, and $10M in total. On January 15, 2021, RVSD submitted the draft site cleanup completion report to U.S. EPA for their comment. Now that the final revised report has been accepted by the U.S. EPA on December 14, 2021, the site is officially available for consideration of the appropriate unrestricted land use.
On March 17, 2021, the District adopted a Communications and Engagement Strategy for the potential disposition of the property.
Larkspur Landing Documents
Click on the links below to see individual documents.
Larkspur General Plan
- Larkspur Housing Element Update: RVSD Comments Regarding Owner Interest in Developing Housing at 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle (May 17, 2023) (PDF)
- Larkspur 2040 General Plan Update and EIR: RVSD Comments Regarding 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle (February 2, 2021) (PDF)
- U.S. EPA acknowledgement of RVSD’s completion of the PCB cleanup at 2000 Larkspur Landing Circle (December 14, 2021) (PDF)
- PCBs Cleanup Completion Report (without appendices) (November 18, 2021) (PDF)
- U.S Army Corps of Engineers Wetlands Delineation (August 31, 2017) (PDF)
- Final Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (adopted June 21, 2017) (PDF)
- Draft Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration (April 14, 2017) (PDF)
- Work Plan, Cost Estimate and Implementation Presentation (March 2017) (PDF)
- Site Characterization Work Plan (September 2016) (PDF)
- Overview of Remediation Work Plan (August 17, 2016) (PDF)
- US EPA Approval for Site Remediation Progress Update (March 16, 2016) (PDF)
- EPA Conditional Approval Letter (November 12, 2014) (PDF)
- Draft District Work Plan to EPA (November 9, 2014) (PDF)
- District Phase 1 Application (July 24, 2014) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment Withdrawal Letter (July 18, 2013) (PDF)
- Larkspur Response to General Plan Amendment
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Document (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- District General Plan Amendment to Larkspur Site Plan (May 10, 2012) (PDF)
- Office and Corp Yard Property Mgmt Study (Forsher + Guthrie, 2011) (PDF)
- 2011 Settlement Agreement (PDF)
- 2009 Campus St. James Larkspur LLC Complaint (PDF)
- 2006 Amendment to Option Agreement and Purchase Agreement (PDF)
- 1999 Option Agreement (PDF)